Third Street Women's Residence
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The Third Street Women's Shelter is a six-story structure with a basement level constructed of masonry and steel. Built c. 1960 with approximately 25,000 square feet, it was originally owned and operated as the New York City Pre-Natal Homeless Women's Shelter. In 1997, the Department of Homeless Services contracted with the Henry Street Settlement to allow the Settlement to assume all program and operating responsibilities. Housing for homeless single adult women is provided in congregate style with 79 individual living cubicles and beds. Additional space is available for community meals, vocational and educational services, program participation, private consultation, and administrative offices.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must obtain Fire Conductor or Fire Coordinator Test for licensure within first three months of employment
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid certification within the first three months of employment
- PPD clearance
- NYS Security License
- Experience providing basic personal care services to clients
- Demonstrated knowledge of group interactions and effective ways of working with people
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with residents with mental health, illness, and substance abuse issues
- Detail oriented
- Ability to learn and use appropriate crisis intervention techniques with clients
- Assist residents as needed with dressing, bathing, cleaning rooms, washing and drying personal laundry, and other basic care and daily living activities
- Report and record observable changes in the physical, mental and behavioral condition of clients
- Provide appropriate crisis intervention when clients become agitated, hostile or dangerous to themselves or others
- Take appropriate action in case of emergency situations including but not limited to client illness, accidents, fires, etc.
- Assist administration, Case Managers and Senior Case Aides in conflict intervention for all clients
- Respond to client calls for assistance
- Maintain and review daily logs and alert appropriate staff of pertinent issues
- Provide written incident reports (DHS and/or in-house) as needed, prior to departure from scheduled shift
- Assist in preparing and serving meals for residents
- Provide kitchen sanitation in absence of food service personnel, as needed, ensuring kitchen and dinning area is clean at all times
- Ensure accuracy of food delivery and inventory of goods
- Assist in monitoring entrance of building via monitor and buzzing system, and assist in monitoring daily sign-in sheet
- Assist in thorough baggage search of new clients entering the facility
- Ensure storage, proper tagging and labeling of all clients' belongings
- Conduct overview in compliance with NYFD, DHS and FMD regulations
- Assist with garbage removal from facility in accordance with DHS and NYC Deptartment of Sanitation regulations
- Assist in snow removal from facility property as needed
- Ensure radio and telephone communication between floors is in proper working order
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness of entrance door and lobby area
- Provide lunch and break coverage for other Case Aides
- Provide clerical support to Senior Case Aides including but not limited to answering telephone inquires and sorting mail
- Maintain a safe, clean and therapeutic environment for client care
Apply To: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Case Aide-3rd Street " in subject of e-mail.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.