Youth/Workforce Development Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Henry Street Settlement Education and Employment Services is an $8.4M division providing a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Employment Services is a $3.8M integrated multi-service employment program funded by private, corporate, and government funding. Participants engage in a continuum of activities including soft skills training, GED and ESOL classes, internships, employment and career planning, job search, retention and ongoing case management. The Workforce Development Center serves a diverse group of people with four service tracks: Youth Employment, a walk-in population, an ESL population for people with limited English proficiency and Jobs Plus, a place based program at NYCHA Wald and Riis Houses. The Director of Employment Services will provide programmatic, operational, personnel, administrative and fiscal oversight for Employment Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus five (5) years relevant experience required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience supervising staff with proven success in staff development and strong coaching skills
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience in workforce development services
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, internet applications and database navigation
- Sensitivity towards and ability to work with challenging populations
- Good judgment and problem solving ability, strong organizational skills
- Direct all employment services including job training, job development, referrals, placement and retention activities
- Monitor activities across all program areas and ensure each program is reaching contractual goals
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with employers/businesses to create employment opportunities for clients
- Participate in internal and external meetings and other collaborative opportunities to support efforts to identify jobs and explore capacity building
- Represent the organization to key stakeholders including program partner organizations and participating employers
- Provide coaching and support to job development team, holding regular meetings, sharing leads, identifying training, and connecting to networking opportunities
- Coordinate job referral activities across programs as well as other divisions within Henry Street Settlement
- Develop systems to organize and maintain efficient client flow/case management with specific emphasis on employment activity and retention follow up
- Work closely with IT and database vendor to develop and revise existing systems, provide training and support to staff with these systems
- Manage a portfolio of contracts/grants that cover services across all programs (including but not limited to foundation grants)
- Provide fiscal oversight to assure program expenditures are on track for contracts in assigned portfolio
- Provide oversight and quality assurance for all programs
- Support retention function including coaching and support to retention associates, coordinating activities across programs, providing technical support to staff with database reports and data entry
- Manage all financial literacy activities including, but not limited to, free tax preparation services, benefit screenings, financial coaching and financial literacy workshops and other activities
- Manage all post-placement activities working with retention staff from each program area to coordinate outreach and retention projects
- Represent Henry Street Settlement on employment and workforce related committees, meetings, conferences and other networking opportunities
- Represent the organization to key stakeholders including funders, program partner organizations, participating employers, elected officials and community leaders
- Actively seek to expand knowledge base of workforce development issues and best practices and share information with relevant staff
- Provide direct supervision to Program Directors, Coordinators, and other relevant staff
- Manage relationships with corporate volunteer partners
- When applicable, meet with clients individually to handle special inquiries, grievances, and issue warnings and failure to comply notices
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
Apply To: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate "Director of Employment" in subject of e-mail.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.
Auxiliary aides and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.