Since 1893, Henry Street Settlement has been the safety net — and the portal to a better life — for millions of New Yorkers in need. An anchor on Manhattan's Lower East Side for nearly 120 years, the Settlement fulfills its mission — to open doors of opportunity to New Yorkers through social service, arts and health care programs — by serving 50,000 individuals each year. From the working mother searching for safe, affordable childcare to the homeless family seeking shelter to the senior citizen needing home-delivered meals, Henry Street is there.
Today, we are launching a $12 million capital campaign to keep our doors open for the thousands of New Yorkers who depend on us right now — and for generations to come. These vital funds will enable us to maintain and grow our facilities so that they match the quality of our programs and allow us to continue to be a beacon of hope and opportunity for Lower East Side residents and all New Yorkers.
Won't you please help us keep our doors open? Your support is key.
|Philip T. Ruegger III
The campaign will enable Henry Street to:
- Open the vacant firehouse adjacent to our Henry Street headquarters as our new "front door" — a highly visible and accessible gateway to our services.
- Preserve and retrofit our c.1830 national landmark headquarters to increase energy efficiency and lower operating costs.
- Transform our 301 Henry Street building into the best possible resource for our youth programs.
- Update the Abrons Arts Center exterior and re-envision public use of its gallery and amphitheater, and make improvements to the landmark Playhouse.
- Create a building reserve fund to address critical ongoing capital needs.
- Invest in human resources, technology and programs to enhance staff performance and service delivery.
Recognition: All donations of $1,000 and higher to the Campaign for Henry Street will be acknowledged in a prominent display in the Settlement’s landmark lobby. Donors may wish to consider a naming opportunity.