The Parent Center offers free workshops and programs designed to help negotiate the challenges and celebrate the joys of raising children.
We invite mothers, fathers and other caregivers to bring their questions and share their concerns.
Our staff is trained in health, behavioral health, life-span development and wellness, and in addressing cultural influences on parenting styles.
Current programs include:
- Sunny Starts Series: Expectant Mothers: Prepare for the relationship of a lifetime with this six-week curriculum-based parent group designed to help pregnant mothers attune to their bodies and emotions.
- Sunny Starts Series: New Mothers: Familiarize yourself with the developmental needs of your baby or toddler (two to 36 months) with this six-week curriculum-based group for parents and children. Learn methods for fostering attachment and developing communication, socialization and sensory-motor skills
- Toddler Tuesday: Parents and their toddlers (16 months to three years) engage in structured play, learning through music and movement, stories, arts and crafts and more in this six-week group. Meets Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Active Parenting Now!: Parents of children (five to 12 years) and teenagers (12 to 17 years) explore a range of parenting topics in this six-week group, including stages of development, responsibility and discipline, understanding and redirecting behavior, building character and self-esteem and more.
- Parenting Journey: Build nurturing family relationships through increased self-awareness and self-care in this 12-week curriculum-based parenting group. *Family Court/ACS-approved.
- Resources for Toddlers, Youth and Teen Programs: Information for day care, after-school and summer camps, and arts programs offered at the Abrons Arts Center.
- Benefits Counseling and Community Resources: Referrals for help with public assistance; food stamps; health insurance; legal services including child support, credit and debt repair; housing resources; job training and placement; income tax preparation referrals; and medical and mental health services.
All programs and services are free of charge, including workshops, support and special events.