Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Boys and Girls Republic (BGR)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Temporary, Part Time (15 hours per week)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: This position is part of the Henry Street Settlement Education and Employment Services Division, which is a $10M division providing a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include two day care centers, after school programs (6 sites), camp programs (3 sites), middle school and high school initiatives, and the Expanded Horizons College Access and Retention program (both community center and school based).
- High School Diploma and enrollment in college in a related field (Education/Human Development/Sociology/etc.) required
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in after-school or camp settings required
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working with Middle School and High School Youth preferred
- Thorough knowledge of appropriate skill development strategies for youth in grades 6-12
- Interest in providing quality hands-on, inquiry based projects, enrichment, and recreation experiences to youth in grades 6-12
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work with students from a variety of academic backgrounds and skill levels
- Strong organizational, multitask, and follow through skills
- Self-motivated ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible and positive team-oriented attitude
- Specialization in enrichment activities a plus
- Must be able to be on site from 6:00pm to 10:00pm, Monday to Saturday
- Must be able to attend some daytime meetings and trainings
- Must be able to work school holidays
- Plan and execute appropriate hands-on inquiry based projects, enrichment, and recreation experiences
- Design and implement educational and recreational activities
- Provide group and individual instruction utilizing curriculum provided
- Find/create opportunities for students to expand and build upon their interests
- Distribute materials and information relevant to the activity
- Maintain records of all participants and activities including attendance sheets and progress within the activity
- Review and assess individual students via surveys, observation, double entry journals, etc.
- Prepare students for sharing’s, culminating events, and exhibits
- Organize special events as necessary
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with families, teachers, staff and children
- Attend mandatory trainings in compliance with NYC DOH regulations
- Provide Henry Street Settlement with all of the required paperwork, certifications, and support documents in compliance with NYC DOH regulations
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Activities Teacher for BGR” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.