Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Case Manager/Housing Specialist
Department: Urban Family Center
Start Date: ASAP
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Urban Family Center provides transitional housing and supportive services for families, their children, and survivors of domestic violence. In addition to housing, residents receive on site social services, including individual/group counseling, support groups, family case management, housing search assistance and employment preparation. UFC has a seamlessly integrated, comprehensive on-site social service program that helps residents restore and rebuild their lives while managing their housing crises.
- Master’s Degree required; Master of Social Work (MSW) preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with indigent families
- Experience working with homeless population
- Strong case management skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Good judgment and problem solving ability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to keep calm and work well with people
- Knowledge of computers such as Microsoft office, Outlook, etc.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of team concepts preferred
- Experience working with the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) CARES system
- Coordinate all social services for residents including working interactively in the development of Independent Living Plan (ILP) service plans
- Provide individual/family counseling
- Provide crisis intervention counseling
- Formulate service plans and goals and assist clients to implement service plans
- Develop and implement employability plans with residents and the agencies employment program
- Ensure shelter’s rules and regulations are communicated to residents and that clients understand and work towards meeting their responsibilities as outlined in their Independent Living Plan (ILP)
- Accompany residents to appointments including: public assistance, apartment viewing, interviews, lease signing, and furniture shopping when necessary
- Maintain and develop up-to-date information and resources to meet the diverse social services and housing needs of the families
- Assist clients in developing an independent living plans (ILP) to move families towards permanent housing
- Must have housing agents/realtor bank as well as to make contacts with new Landlords, Brokers, and other housing agents
- Establish and develop new linkages with real estate brokers and landlords. Maintain an active roster of real estate brokers and landlords. Make contacts with landlords and other housing agents
- Assist clients with completing relevant applications for housing subsidies and programs. Advocate on behalf of the clients to ensure that they receive the appropriate subsidies.
- Assist families seeking apartments in the public and private sector.
- Place a minimum of (3) three families per quarter into permanent housing
- Facilitate Housing Workshops for families, as needed
- Perform all other tasks deemed necessary at the direction of the Program supervisor to aide in the shelter’s achieving its programmatic goals
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Case Manager/Housing Specialist” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.