Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Case Manager/Housing Specialist
Department: Rapid Rehousing Services for Family Shelters
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Date Posted: 11/6/15
Program Overview: The Transitional and Supportive Housing Cluster is a $9.1M division which provides Transitional Housing and Supportive Housing to Homeless individuals and Families, victims of Domestic Violence and Formerly Homeless Individuals. Services include four shelters; two family shelters, a domestic violence shelter, a shelter for Single Women with Mental Health Issues as well as a NYNY Supportive Housing building for formerly homeless individuals with Mental Health issues, services are provided by culturally competent staff and include case management, housing, employment, and youth programs. These programs are designed to help individuals and families attain their fullest potential in an environment that values respect, dignity, caring and integrity. This program will operate out of Urban Family Center and report to the Rapid Rehousing Supervisor.
- Master’s degree required; Masters of Social Work (MSW) preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with indigent and or homeless population
- Strong Case Management, organizational, problem solving skills, and Housing Specialist skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of computers such as Microsoft office, Outlook, etc.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Must be able to service population in the five boroughs
- Formulate service plans and goals, assist residents to access and maintain permanent housing, seek and maintain employment
- Work intensely with clients by escorting them on apartment searches and fast-tracking them through the employment process so they can start job searching immediately
- Work with all Case Managers, Housing and Employment team to assist clients with reaching and maintaining independence goals
- Prepare clients for independent housing and conduct apartment search activities
- Ensure placement into appropriate housing
- Establish and develop new linkages with real estate brokers and landlords. Maintain an active roster of real estate brokers and landlords. Assist families seeking apartments in the public and private sector
- Accompany residents to appointments including: public assistance, apartment viewing, interviews, lease signing, and furniture shopping when necessary
- Provide aftercare follow up services for clients once they move into permanent housing, including home visits and phone follow up for up to one year
- Link clients to Social Services in new communities to enhance acclimation and stability
- Prepare all required reports and documents required by funders
- Perform all other tasks deemed necessary at the direction of the Program supervisor to aide in the shelter’s achieving its programmatic goals
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Apply To: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Case Manager/Housing Specialist” in subject of e-mail AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.