Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Meals on Wheels
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
Henry Street’s Healthy Seniors Select Meals on Wheels program delivers approximately 1,000 fresh and frozen meals every weekday to homebound Manhattan residents to help them stay healthy and independent in their own homes. This program is vitally important because many seniors have little to no access to nutritious meals. They are often too frail or have health complications that prevent them from preparing meals for themselves or from using Henry Street’s Good Companions Senior Center where lunch and dinner are served on-site. Meals on Wheels insures that older New Yorkers receive nutritionally balanced meals. Six meals are delivered weekly, Monday through Friday; a “weekend” meal is delivered on Friday. Healthy Seniors Select Meals on Wheels is funded by the New York City Department for the Aging and Citymeals-on-Wheels. It is operated in collaboration with University Settlement, United Jewish Council of the LES, the Chinese American Planning Council and Encore Community Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or in related field, MSW preferred
- Good organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Experience with outreach and marketing
- Experience with working with Seniors a plus Knowledge of Department for the Aging (DFTA) policies and procedures a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Provide assessments and reassessment for all eligible seniors receiving a dinner meals as part of the pilot program
- Complete all required intake documentation and input into DFTA system for new Meals on Wheels (MOW) clients
- Develop and implement a marketing plan to reach senior adults eligible for home delivered meals
- Liaison between all senior center directors and NORC case managers in DFTA Manhattan District 1 for direct client referrals of those in need of meals.
- Responsible for managing HSS MOW Senior Companion station
- Collaborate with the Senior Companions program to establish new programming models
- Establish relationships and develop contacts with but not limited to: hospitals and clinics, senior residents, tenants associations, elected officials, homecare agencies and houses of worship
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with all contacts followed by monthly phone or e-mail contact
- Work in partnership with other community social service agencies to promote meals on wheels program
- Prepare and compile monthly reports and ensure that case contact requirements are met and are in compliance with agency and contractual guidelines and procedures
- Continue to enhance and develop telephone conference program for homebound seniors, “On the Line”
- Develop and implement additional programming for MOW clients as assigned by program director
- Participate in all required trainings
- Attend community and funder meetings as assigned
- Supervise students and volunteers as assigned
- Other Duties as assigned by the program director
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Case Manager-Meals on Wheels” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.