Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Client Care Worker
Department: Third Street Women’s Residence
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The Transitional and Supportive Housing Cluster is a $9.1M division which provides Transitional Housing and Supportive Housing to Homeless individuals and Families, victims of Domestic Violence and Formerly Homeless Individuals. Services include four shelters; two family shelters, a domestic violence shelter, a shelter for Single Women with Mental Health Issue as well as a NYNY Supportive Housing building for formerly homeless individuals with Mental Health issues.
Services are provided by culturally competent staff and include case management, housing, employment, and children’s programs. These programs are designed to help individuals and families attain their fullest potential in an environment that values respect, dignity, caring and integrity. This position is within the Third Street Women’s Residence which is a 79 bed shelter for homeless women with Mental Health issues. This program includes on-site psychiatric and nursing services to supplement case management and housing services. This position reports directly to the Shift Supervisor.
Responsibilities: The Client Care Worker is responsible for working with clients to help them obtain housing, Help clients live full and satisfying lives in the community; help their team and program to function well and meet their contractual obligations including achieving contracted housing placement goals; and striving, as appropriate to their role, to fulfill the programs’ core purpose, core values and vision statements. This position is within a 24/7 program and must be available for coverage during 5:00PM- 1:00AM and 1:00AM- 9:00AM tours in addition to being part of the coverage rotation.
Associate Degree with at least 4 years relevant experience. Bachelor Degree in Social Work preferred and 1 year relevant experience.
Team duties include:
- Fostering seamless service provision across shifts
- Knowing and being able to communicate with clients about the program’s mission, structure, and approach to treatment.
- Providing and documenting relevant information about a client to their workers and other program staff.
- Knowing program rules and reporting on rule violations.
- Carry out intakes on clients.
Ensuring that clients are safe and comfortable
- Responding to crises.
- Proactively working to create and/or maintain an environment which is safe and comfortable.
- Conducting walk throughs around the facility
- Providing and supporting opportunities for therapeutic recreation and socialization
- Proactively working to engage clients in the program.
- Carrying out specific activities to support the overall functioning of the program
- Assisting with medication monitoring process
- Assisting with kitchen and distribution with meal duties as needed
- Demonstrated ability to provide services to clients with psychiatric and medical disabilities and with issues of substance abuse.
- Appropriate verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy a must
- Bilingual– Spanish speaking preferred
- Ability to obtain First Aid, CPR, F-80 (Certificate of fitness for Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm System)
- Knowledge using the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) data system.
Apply To: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Client Care Worker” in subject of e-mail AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an equal opportunity employer/program.