Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Community Outreach Assistant – Chinese Community
Department: Development & External Relations
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time, 5-20 hours per week, based on season/need
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Company Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 39-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- An interest and passion for community based work
- Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively as well as independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders, including community members, HSS staff, and others
- MS Office proficiency and social media, a plus
- Bilingual (English/Cantonese or English/Mandarin) REQUIRED
- Written and verbal translation skills
- Familiarity with Lower East Side and Chinatown neighborhoods, including issues and concern facing the community, is a plus
- Communicate and promote HSS goals, objectives, and service offerings to community members
- Build relationships with key neighborhood constituencies – including but not limited to residents, NYCHA, faith-based based leaders, schools, and local businesses – to ensure all are informed about HSS services and events
- Attend community events – such as NYCHA family days, local cultural festivals, arts events, etc. – to promote services and build community partnerships
- Support efforts to ensure all HSS programs are aware of all service offerings throughout the agency
- Canvass in the community as needed, with a particular emphasis on engaging community members in large agency events (Town Hall meetings)
- Track progress of outreach efforts, and help maintain accurate record of new and existing community relationships
- Translate flyers from English into Mandarin or Cantonese, as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Community Outreach Assistant-Chinese Community” AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.