Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Community Outreach Associate
Department: Development and External Relations
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 39-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
- High School Diploma or GED preferred
- An interest and passion for community based work
- Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively as well as independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders, including community members, HSS staff, and others
- MS Office proficiency and social media, a plus
- Bilingual (English/Cantonese or English/Spanish) strongly preferred
- Translation skills, a plus
- Familiarity with the Lower East Side neighborhoods, including issues and concerns facing the community, is a plus
- Communicate and promote HSS goals, objectives, and service offerings to community members
- Build relationships with key neighborhood constituencies – including but not limited to residents, NYCHA, faith-based based leaders, schools, and local businesses – to ensure all are connected to HSS and informed about our services and events
- Maintain an accurate record of new and existing community relationships, and communicate with community partners as needed.
- Attend community events & meetings – such as NYCHA family days, local cultural festivals, arts events, etc. – to promote services and build community partnerships
- Support efforts to ensure all HSS programs are aware of all service offerings throughout the agency
- Regularly conduct street outreach & ensure that relevant flyers are posted throughout the community, including at Henry Street’s 17 program sites.
- Plan outreach “pop-ups” and presentations in key sites throughout the community—such as schools, community centers, NYCHA buildings, and more.
- In the summer months, plan and execute outdoor outreach pop-ups throughout the neighborhood.
- Track progress of all outreach efforts, and assist with the development of a Quarterly Outreach Report.
- Assist with the planning & execution of all Community Engagement activities & events—including CAB meetings, Town Halls, Community Events, and more.
- Support Henry Street’s Advocacy efforts, including Advocacy Committee meetings, lobby days, voter registration, and more.
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Community Outreach Associate” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.