Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Community School Social Worker
Department: High School & College Success
Start Date: ASAP
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Education and Employment Services is an 8.2 million dollar division serving about 9000 people each year through a continuum of services from Early Childhood Education through Adult Workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include an Early Learn Program, After School Programs (6 sites), 4 Day Camps, Youth Recreation, High School Initiatives including 2 Community Schools, and our Expanded Horizons College Success Program. Programming takes place within 3 community center sites and multiple school-based programs. Employment Services include walk-in employment services, employment services for a public housing population, ESL job readiness training, and employment services for youth including SYEP and Young Adult Internship and Adult Literacy Programs. This position is within our High School & College Success department, reporting to the Community School Director, and is responsible for direct social work programming at Orchard Collegiate Academy.
- Master of Social Work (MSW) and LMSW required, SIFI preferred.
- Must be available Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm, with occasional evening and weekend events.
- At least 2 years of experience working with adolescents in an urban environment (as social worker, counselor, case manager, etc.).
- Experience with individual and group counseling.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to engage, build relationships, and demonstrate empathy with adolescents.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively with staff members.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
- Diverse cultural competence required.
- Computer proficiency required including Microsoft Word and Excel, email correspondence, and database management.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Maintain a caseload of 40-50 high school students presenting attendance, behavioral, and academic challenges.
- Provide individual counseling and case management.
- Facilitate group counseling/workshops on various topics including academics, attendance, socio-emotional learning, and mental health.
- Provide crisis management interventions and facilitate peer mediations as indicated.
- Assist students in setting and reaching both short and long-term academic and attendance-related goals.
- Maintain parent/family involvement with phone correspondence, home visits, and in school parent/family meetings.
- Build relationships with both Community Based Organization (CBO) staff and DOE teachers and staff.
- Manage hard case files and maintain timely notes on counseling sessions.
- Complete necessary data entry on required databases.
- Participate in weekly team meetings and weekly individual supervision.
- Facilitate meetings with school staff, such as mental health professional developments and biweekly Grade Team Meetings.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of schoolwide events such as Family Night and the Community School Forum.
- Provide task and/or clinical supervision to up to 2 MSW interns
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Community School Social Worker” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.