Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Senior Services
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Henry Street Settlement’s multilingual and multicultural Senior Center has been serving the needs of the Lower East Side’s senior community for over 60 years by offering a variety of activities and social services. The staff speaks English, Chinese and Spanish The Center provides important nutritional information to enhance the health of seniors, and offers affordable hot lunches Sunday through Friday and dinners Monday through Friday. Seniors are encouraged to participate in health promotion and recreational activities, including health and wellness programs, parties, trips, arts and crafts, musical entertainment, recreation, nutrition presentations and educational seminars, and to take advantage of the two fitness rooms, complete with exercise machines and free weights. A bilingual Social Worker is also available to provide case management and information/referral services. The kitchen is responsible for preparing 112 meals for lunch, 80 meals for dinner Monday through Friday, as well as 40 breakfasts and 80 lunches for our program on Sundays. This position reports to the Director and Food Service Coordinator.
- High school diploma or GED certificate; Associate degree or Bachelor degree preferred
- Practical knowledge of diverse cooking techniques and proficiency in preparing various menu entrees
- 2 years’ experience in a fast-paced kitchen; line cook experience preferred
- At least one (1) year experience working with senior citizens preferred
- Must have NYC Food Handlers stamped photo license
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and stand for long periods of time as needed
- Bilingual Spanish or Chinese helpful
- Must be available to work Sundays
- Under the direction of the Food Service Coordinator ensure that all meals are prepared according to standardized recipes and guidelines as defined by the Department of Health and Department for the Aging
- Adhere to mandated nutritional value and portion size requirements while ensuring that meals both look and taste appetizing
- Coordinate and contribute to all menu planning in conjunction with the Food Service Coordinator
- Record food usage and temperatures accurately for daily, weekly and monthly DFTA reporting
- Reduce food waste through creative reuse of leftovers (example: soups, stews, chili), working in conjunction with the Food Service Coordinator.
Supervision of Kitchen:
- Provide daily supervision of kitchen aides, volunteers, interns and all other food service workers, particularly as it relates to food production, waste reduction, cleanliness of kitchen and storage areas
- Ensure that proper sanitation, cleaning schedules and safety guidelines in the kitchen are followed at all times
- Maintain compliance with all food handling procedures, including those of the Department of Health, Department for the Aging and Henry Street Settlement
- Provide accurate record-keeping of food production and food & refrigeration equipment temperature logs on a daily basis
- Responsible for ensuring proper sanitation, cleaning schedules and safety guidelines
- Maintain vigilant control of food costs, waste and vendor pricing
- Assume all kitchen responsibilities and staff supervision in the absence of the Food Service Coordinator
- Work closely with Food Service Coordinator to ensure the quality of incoming orders and that all food and kitchen supplies are ordered, received, dated, rotated and stored in a timely manner
- Ensure that proper food inventories are documented and maintained
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Director
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Cook” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.