Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Disaster Case Manager
Department: Neighborhood Resource Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Date Posted: 4/27/17
Program Overview: The Neighborhood Resource Center is a free walk-in service to help community residents access needed services more easily. Clients are screened for financial, health, employment and child care/family needs. Referrals are made to the appropriate Henry Street Settlement divisions, including workforce development, senior services, mental health services, parent center and more. The Parent Center part of the program offers parent and parent/child groups including for parents mandated by the Administration for Children’s Services to complete parent classes.
- Master’s degree in Social Work (M.S.W./L.M.S.W.) required
- Minimum of 1-3 years related experience required (social services, case management)
- Demonstrated experience in providing comprehensive case management services to large caseload of targeted population
- Familiarity with network of ongoing Superstorm Sandy Storm disaster resources/referrals
- Knowledge of trauma theory/crisis counseling and/or post-traumatic stress interventions in response to natural and other disasters
- Ability to organize, prioritize efficiently, and multi-task
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Professional presence and capacity to engage and assess clients
- Knowledge of Benefits/Entitlements (Food Stamps/SNAP, housing/eviction prevention, etc.), Medicaid/Medicare, SSD/SSI
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Computer proficiency including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Conduct biopsychosocial assessments and short-term treatment planning/crisis intervention for clients impacted by Superstorm Sandy
- Assess clients for benefit/entitlement eligibility; provide referrals to on-site Single Stop/financial and legal services
- Assist clients in facilitating the removal of barriers to benefits, complete application forms; e.g., food and other emergency vouchers
- Assist clients with referrals to other departments of Henry Settlement, as well as outside agencies
- Provide advocacy services to all clients
- Timely case documentation including progress notes and use of various databases for data collection
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and case review conferences
- Complete electronic submission of food stamp application for clients
- Administrative responsibilities
- Additional related duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Disaster Case Manager” AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.