Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Educational Associate/Youth Tutor
Department: Urban Family Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time (12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: One of the first publicly funded shelters, the Shelter for Domestic Violence Survivors has provided safe refuge and on-site social services for survivors of domestic violence and their children since 1977. The shelter consists of 13 furnished apartments, each shared by two families. During their time-limited length of stay, residents are educated on family safety, non-violent relationship choices, economic self-sufficiency, and finding and maintaining permanent housing.
- Associate’s Degree required with at least (4) years’ experience or Bachelor’s Degree
- Deep commitment to supporting the well-being and educational success of children and young adults
- Classroom experience in supporting learners of all ages, grade levels, and subject area from a variety of backgrounds and settings
- Experience in the development and implementation of lesson plans
- Must be able to research and implement educational technologies as tools for individualized student support
- Must be familiar with the Common Core standards
- Experience in working with students individually and in group settings
- Experience in working with children who have social, emotional or familial issues
- Excellent oral communication and excellent writing skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills, judgment and problem solving ability
- Must be comfortable traveling throughout the 5 boroughs using public transportation
- Must be flexible with schedule changes
- Plan and deliver clear and engaging educational lessons that fit the need of student
- Must be able to differentiate curriculum based on the need of the student (this includes but not limited to learning level, behavior and attention span)
- Use regular formal and informal educational assessments to ensure that students achieve and maintain mastery of all contents being taught
- Work collaboratively with, parents, teachers, schools, care providers, caseworkers and other professionals to support struggling students
- Establish and maintain strong lines of communication with parents
- Work collaboratively with the schools of the students that you are providing services to (meeting with school personnel, sending and receiving email information)
- Write statistical reports and keep accurate records
- Provide one and one and group tutoring to all grade levels
- Provide assessment and individual and group counseling to at risk children
- Escort children to trips and special programming; assist and accompany students to creative arts programs, computer workshops, and other special youth trips
- Maintain written records of documented incidents, accidents, group attendance, and complete group summary and statistical records
- Monitor and track students’ attendance and school achievement
- Help children complete homework
- Assist with supervision of evening program, recreation, and special events
- Work with the Youth Social Worker to provide educational plans for the children
- Enhance the developmental and educational growth of the children
- Other related duties as assigned
To Apply: email Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Educational Associate/Youth Tutor” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.