Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Job Essentials Training (JET)/Workforce Development Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: This position is a part of Henry Street Settlement’s Education and Employment Services, a $10M division providing a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Our employment programs are derived from proven models to provide holistic employment, education, and financial counseling services to low-income New Yorkers. The Employment Coordinator works with clients on career development, job placement and job retention goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Human Services, Education, Business, Psychology, or related field and two (2) years relevant experience OR high school diploma/GED and five (5) years relevant experience required.
- Two (2) to three (3) years relevant experience in workforce development, recruiting, human resources preferred.
- Sensitivity towards, and ability to, work with diverse individuals including, but not limited to, NYCHA/Public Housing Residents, young adults, English language learners and other to low-income, high-barrier to employment populations.
- Demonstrated experience working in a goal-driven environment to achieve monthly targets.
- Demonstrated experience effectively teaching or facilitating groups and individuals to achieve a desired outcome using up-to-date techniques/methods.
- Experience providing comprehensive assessment and case management services and/or helping others to large caseload desirable.
- Good judgement and problem solving ability, strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated, able to work efficiently and effectively under pressure both as an individual and member of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills required, ability to effectively conduct meetings, trainings, groups preferred.
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required, various data collection software required, database maintenance required, web/cloud-based programs required, targeted internet research required, social media (including Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, CareerBuilder, Monster.com, etc.) preferred, web-based mailing services preferred, experience using Outcomes/Resume Video database ideal.
- Bilingual (English/Cantonese or English/Spanish) preferred.
- Develop strong working relationships with participants in order to help participants secure and maintain viable and long-lasting employment
- Provide vocational counseling, career readiness, assistance with job search and job retention to participants that results in meeting monthly job placement and retention targets
- Assist participants in removing barriers to employment by making connections to necessary services both within and outside HSS
- Complete basic reporting requirements including, but not limited to, progress notes and client tracking; Ensure data entry is completed by deadline dates as assigned
- Identify potential training programs/partners that will enhance participants’ connection to the workforce
- Maintain regular contact with each participant’s support system, as well as other stakeholders, when necessary
- Facilitate educational, vocational, work readiness, and personal development groups as necessary/directed
- Participate fully in program design development to meet needs of participants and program goals
- Attend meetings, workshops, and conferences, as requested
- Travel to multiple service sites within the division as needed
- Participate in case management, staff and supervisory meetings as scheduled.
- Other related tasks as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Employment Coordinator-JET” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.