Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
ESL-Job Readiness Employment Coordinator
Department: Workforce Development Center
Start Date: ASAP
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Education & Employment Services provides a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs. All programs are designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Our employment programs are derived from proven models to provide holistic employment, education, and financial counseling services to low-income New Yorkers. The Employment Coordinator works with English language learners on career development, job placement and job retention goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Human Services, Education, Business, Psychology, or related field and two (2) years relevant experience
- TESOL certified preferred
- Two (2) years relevant experience teaching adults in a workforce development, recruiting, human resources or ESL classroom setting
- Sensitivity towards and ability to work effectively with diverse English language learners and other low-income, high barriers-to-employment populations
- Demonstrated experience working in a goal-driven environment to achieve monthly targets
- Demonstrated experience effectively teaching and facilitating groups and individuals to achieve a desired outcome (sense of humor highly valued)
- Experience providing comprehensive assessment and case management services to large caseload desirable
- Good judgement and problem solving ability, strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated, able to work efficiently and effectively under pressure both as an individual and member of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills required
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required, various data collection software required, database maintenance required, targeted internet research required, social media preferred, web-based mailing services preferred
- Bilingual (English/Cantonese or English/Spanish) preferred.
- Teach monthly job readiness classes to high and intermediate level English language learners.
- Develop strong working relationships with participants in order to help participants secure and maintain viable and long-lasting employment
- Provide vocational counseling, career readiness, assistance with job search and job retention to participants that results in meeting monthly job placement and retention targets
- Assist participants in removing barriers to employment by making connections to necessary services both within and outside HSS
- Complete basic reporting requirements including progress notes and client tracking
- Ensure data entry is completed by deadline dates as assigned
- Identify potential training programs/partners that will enhance participants’ connection to the workforce
- Participate fully in program design development to meet needs of participants and program goals
- Attend meetings, workshops, and conferences, as requested
- Travel to multiple service sites within the division as needed
- Participate in case management, staff and supervisory meetings as scheduled
- Other related tasks as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Employment Coordinator—ESL-Job Readiness Program” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.