Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Third Street Women’s Residence
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The Transitional and Supportive Housing Cluster is a $9.1M division which provides Transitional Housing and Supportive Housing to Homeless individuals and Families, victims of Domestic Violence and Formerly Homeless Individuals. Services include four shelters; two family shelters, a domestic violence shelter, a shelter for Single Women with Mental Health Issue as well as a NYNY Supportive Housing building for formerly homeless individuals with Mental Health issues. Services are provided by culturally competent staff and include case management, housing, employment, and children’s programs. These programs are designed to help individuals and families attain their fullest potential in an environment that values respect, dignity, caring and integrity. This position is within the Third Street Women’s Residence which is a 79 bed shelter for homeless women with Mental Health issues. This program includes on-site psychiatric and nursing services to supplement case management and housing services. This position is within a 24/7 program and must be available for coverage during evenings, weekends and holidays.
Work Schedule: Thursday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Tuesday OFF Wednesday OFF
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Three (3) year experience working in building maintenance
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment
- Must be able to work flexible schedule
- Must be able to lift and move heavy objects
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid certification within the first three (3) months of employment
- Must obtain Fire Conductor or Fire Safety and Alarm System Test ( Homeless Shelter F-80), for licensure within the first three (3) months of employment
- Assist with keeping building in compliance with regulatory and monitoring agencies (NYC Department of Health, NYC Fire Department, Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) , Department of Homeless Services (DHS) and Callahan)
- Assist with maintaining a sanitary environment
- Clean stairwells and lobbies in a six (6) story walk-up building twice a week
- Assist in keeping all areas in bathroom clean daily
- Clean all offices on a daily basis to ensure cleanliness
- Assist in keeping common areas clean (i.e offices and bathrooms)
- Maintain cleanliness of floors (mopping and scrubbing corners)
- Dust borders on wall (telephones, windows, windowsills and televisions)
- Help with garbage removal daily
- Prepare client’s areas for intake and discharge
- Help clean and prepare cubicles for move-ins and move-outs
- Report any equipment or materials that need repair
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Housekeeper” AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.