Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Urban Family Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full time (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. / 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Date Posted: 8/26/16
Date Reposted: 12/12/16
Program Overview: Urban Family Center provides transitional housing and supportive services for families, their children, and survivors of domestic violence. In addition to housing, residents receive on site social services, including individual/group counseling, support groups, family case management, housing search assistance and employment preparation. UFC has a seamlessly integrated, comprehensive on-site social service program that helps residents restore and rebuild their lives while managing their housing crises.
- High school diploma or GED required; associate’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with indigent families required
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of computers
- Must be bilingual (English/Spanish preferred)
- Knowledge and understanding of team concepts preferred
- Computer literate specifically with Microsoft applications required.
- Must have existing housing agents/realtor data base of contacts
- Make new contacts with landlords and other housing agents
- Assist families in seeking apartments in the public and private sector
- Must place a minimum of four families per month into permanent housing
- Have experience with the DHS CARES system
- Escort families to apartment viewing ,interviews lease signing and furniture shopping when necessary
- Make appointments with landlords and other housing agents to ensure clients have housing leads
- Link clients to housing and various housing programs such as assist clients with signing up to the different Department of Homeless Services (DHS) programs and/or low income programs available
- Maintain and develop up-to-date information and resources to meet the diverse housing needs of shelter families
- Maintain and submit on a timely basis written communication including case notes , housing applications, entitlements, referral letters, memos and DHS reports
- Facilitate Housing Workshops for families
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Housing Specialist for UFC” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.