Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Third Street
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
The Transitional and Supportive Housing Cluster is a $9.1M division which provides Transitional Housing and Supportive Housing to Homeless individuals and Families, victims of Domestic Violence and Formerly Homeless Individuals. Services include four shelters; two family shelters, a domestic violence shelter, a shelter for Single Women with Mental Health Issue as well as a NYNY Supportive Housing building for formerly homeless individuals with Mental Health issues.
Services are provided by culturally competent staff and include case management, housing, employment, and children’s programs. These programs are designed to help individuals and families attain their fullest potential in an environment that values respect, dignity, caring and integrity. This position is within the Third Street Women’s Residence which is a 79 bed shelter for homeless women with Mental Health issues. This program includes on-site psychiatric and nursing services to supplement case management and housing services. This position is defined as Essential Staff- must be able to report for work during emergency situations including weather emergencies. May be required to respond on evenings, weekends and float in the Transitional and Supportive Housing Division.
- Associates degree required
- At least three (3) years’ experience supervising maintenance and superintendent staff
- Certifications prior to employment preferred. Must obtain the Certification of fitness in the following areas: F80 Certificate of fitness; F-01 Fire Guard, S-95 Fire alarm, standpipe and sprinkler system, F-07 Fire & Emergency drill conductor within the first three (3) months of employment.
- Basic knowledge of computer ie. Internet explorer, MS office, and outlook
- Must be available for On-Call coverage schedule within the Transitional and Supportive Housing division and other Henry Street Settlement Programs/Locations.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Experience with removing HPD, DOHMH, DOB, FDNY violations
- Must have knowledge in carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, walls, floors and doors
- Certificate in locksmithing a plus
- Must have knowledge of inventory and stock control
- Excellent problem solving ability and good crisis intervention skills
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills required
- Provide direct supervision to maintenance and kitchen staff (maintenance worker, housekeepers and kitchen helpers)
- Oversee and direct workload for maintenance and kitchen staff
- Provide hiring and firing recommendations for maintenance and kitchen staff
- Responsible for staff’s new hire and annual performance evaluations
- Perform repairs and provide preventative maintenance as needed
- Report serious repair problems to the Program Supervisor and Plant Manager
- Maintain all logs, records, and statistics relative to maintenance and kitchen functions and provide written reports to the Program Supervisor on a weekly basis
- Process work schedules and work orders for repairs with the maintenance staff
- Assist in keeping all common areas of the facility clean
- Assist in keeping the facility in compliance with all inspections
- Supervise and oversee inventory for quarterly reports
- Supervisor the work of all vendors that come onsite to the program
- Establish and maintain personnel accountabilities
- Ensure tasks assigned to all supervised staff are completed in a timely manner
- Provide expertise in the following areas: boilers, plumbing, carpentry, electrical and locksmith
- Conduct fire drills and log activity of drills
- Ensure kitchen equipment, security and building systems are operable
- Ensure required job, building and elevator certifications are kept up to date and posted
- Provide weekly and monthly inventory reports of maintenance equipment and supplies and kitchen supplies
- Provide access to the building for the repair person, meter readers and inspectors
- Responsible for painting and plastering of building
- Responsible for maintenance and testing of IPA and sprinkler system
- Responsible for ordering proper amount of supplies
- Assist Program Director in ensuring that all maintenance contracts for equipment are renewed
- Assist maintenance staff with the daily cleaning of building
- Ensure compliance with local ordinance requirements
- Must be able to follow up and update the status of repairs and safety inspections in a clear and concise manner.
- Must be well organized and have the ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing.)
- Prior experience with submitting proposals to funder to include and explain about the scopes of work
- Ability to relate well and to provide written and verbal communications to funders.
- Ability to assist with providing emergency coverage at other HSS sites.
- Other activities as related to job
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate “Maintenance Supervisor” AND the website the position was found in subject of e-mail .
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an equal opportunity employer/program.