Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Middle School Enrichment Teacher
Department: Middle School Success Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Temporary, Part Time (17.5 hours per week)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: This position is part of the Henry Street Settlement Education and Employment Division which is an $8.4 m division providing a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include 2 day care centers, after school programs (5 sites), camp programs (3 sites), Adolescent Education programs, and Expanded Horizons College Access and Retention program (both community center and school based). This position is within our Adolescent Education Department and is part of a school based program serving 3 middle schools. This position reports to the Director of Adolescent Education Services.
- At least 2 years of college required
- Minimum of (2) two years of experience working with special needs youth or youth with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in after-school or camp settings preferred
- Strong content knowledge of Common Core Standards
- Thorough knowledge of appropriate skill development strategies for students grades 6-8th
- Proven experience leading and developing activities to youth in grades 6th-8th
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work with students from a variety of academic backgrounds and skill levels
- Strong organizational, multitask, and follow through skills
- Self-motivated ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible and positive team-oriented attitude
- Must be able to be on site by 1:30pm, Monday- Friday
- Must be able to attend some daytime meetings and trainings
- Must be able to work holidays
- Prepare and develop lesson plans to ensure activities are appropriate for youth
- Find/create opportunities for students to expand and build upon their interests
- Distribute materials and information relevant to the activity
- Maintain records of all participants and activities including attendance sheets and progress within the activity
- Review and assess individual students via surveys, observation, and feedback
- Communicate with afterschool staff, leadership, Department of Education faculty and parents related to youth
- Attend mandatory trainings in compliance with NYC department of health regulations
- Provide Henry Street Settlement with all of the required paperwork, certifications, and support documents in compliance with NYC DOH regulations
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Middle School Enrichment Teacher” AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.