Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Urban Family Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 18 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. required
- Experience working with building maintenance and repairs
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience painting apartments and/or other common areas
- Must be able to obtain FDNY –F80 Certificate of fitness
- Must be mechanically inclined
- Good writing skills
- Experience with #2 boiler, carpentry; plumbing, painting; locksmith and electricity repairs
- Assist in cleaning and preparing apartments for residents (including lifting and carrying furniture; kitchen appliances, etc.)
- Availability for on call (24 hours) for emergency assistance
- Must be able to work evening and weekends rotation
- Assist the Building Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent with maintaining repairs of the building. i.e. boiler, plumbing, cylinder changing, sheetrock, plastering tiles, floor and electrical repairs/wiring.
- Paint apartments, offices and all public areas of the facility
- Assist maintenance staff in their duties. i.e. cleaning and preparing apartments, stairwells, lobbies and grounds as assigned by Plant Manager
- Assisting in cleaning and preparing apartments for residents includes lifting & carrying furniture, kitchen appliances etc.
- Maintain physical upkeep of the facility
- Maintain inventory with department by providing monthly report to supervisor
- Any other assigned duties by Plant Manager
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Painter/Handyperson” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.