Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Youth Employment Services
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Temporary, Part Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The Young Adult Employment Program, based at 301 Henry Street, serves 18 to 24-year-olds who are not currently enrolled in school or working. This comprehensive employment program offers young people the following critical services:
- Each cohort begins with a three-week job readiness training held Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Training is followed by an 11 to 18 week paid internship experience at worksites in a variety of professional fields
- For those young people who need their GED, they will be enrolled in our in-house GED classes.
- Each young person is assigned to an Advisor who meets with them weekly to provide support and case management services, and post-graduation youth continue to receive supportive services and assistance with placement into education and employment.
The Program Assistant position will support Henry Street Settlement’s youth employment programs. Youth employment programs provide HSE instruction, job readiness and internships to young adult ages 17-24 residing in NYC.
- High School Diploma / HSE equivalent required
- One (1) year of related work experience in an administrative office setting required
- Prior work experience in a non-profit organization working with youth a plus
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and web-hosted databases.
- Unflappable customer service
- High standards for work produced
- Strong organizational and time management skills in the face of tight deadlines
- Ability to form and maintain professional working relationships with staff, external stakeholders and program participants
- Creativity, professionalism, and an excellent sense of humor
- Passion for youth and community development
- Ability to work evenings as needed
- Travel throughout the five boroughs to youth internship sites to collect vital program documentation including original timesheets
- Prepare and update data collection spreadsheets
- Assist young adults with completing documentation for program entry
- Review documentation to ensure it is valid and meets funder requirements
- Prepare client charts and make copies when necessary
- Provide support with community outreach including tabling events
- Act as a liaison with partnering community based organizations
- Provide additional administrative support when necessary
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Apply To: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject of e-mail, please indicate “Program Assistant for Youth Employment” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program and offers excellent benefits.