Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Youth Services/After-School
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Education and Employment Services is an 8.2 million dollar division serving about 9000 people each year through a continuum of services from Early Childhood Education through Adult Workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include an Early Learn Program, After School Programs (6 sites), 4 Day Camps, Youth Recreation, High School Initiatives including 2 Community Schools, and our Expanded Horizons College Success Program. Programming takes place within 3 community center sites and multiple school-based programs. Employment Services include walk-in employment services, employment services for a public housing population, ESL job readiness training, and employment services for youth including SYEP and Young Adult Internship and Adult Literacy Programs. This position is within our After-School & Camp Services department, reporting to the Director of After-School & Camp Services, and is responsible for coordinating middle school based programming at United Neighborhood Middle School.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience working in after-school and/or camp settings.
- Advanced content knowledge of Common Core New York State Standards and their application
- Extensive knowledge of grade/age appropriate skill development strategies for students
- Bilingual preferred (Cantonese or Mandarin)
- Familiarity with Grants, and DYCD contracts.
- Interest in providing quality hands on, inquiry based projects, enrichment, and recreation experiences to youth, grades K—5.
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds.
- At least two years’ experience working towards contractually mandated outcomes with cohorts of students.
- Experience interfacing with Department of Education staff.
- Advanced experience working with families to facilitate overall student success.
- Ability to work with students from a variety of academic backgrounds and skill levels
- Strong organizational, multitask, and follow-through skills
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible and positive team-oriented attitude
- Must be able to work on school holidays
- Coordinate an After-School program that promotes excellence, fun, and education for K-5th graders.
- Supervise Department of Education instructional and administrative staff to work towards collaborative implementation of after-school programming.
- Plan and execute program-wide hands-on inquiry based academic projects, enrichment, and recreation experiences.
- Leads in the development and maintenance of a positive coordinated educational program designed to meet the needs of all participants.
- Implement feedback mechanisms from staff, parent, student, and community members regarding curriculum and instruction.
- Assists in keeping the community (students and parents) informed about the curriculum and instructional goals of the program.
- Ensure that age appropriate Social Emotional Learning opportunities are incorporated into program activities.
- Structure group and individual instruction for all students with a keen focus on providing enrichment for the English Language Learners.
- Discover/facilitate opportunities for students to expand and build upon their interests.
- Assist with orders and purchases of materials and information to support and enrich program activities/initiatives.
- Maintain records of all participants and activities including attendance sheets and progress within the activity.
- Work with staff to review and assess individual students via surveys, observation, double entry journals, etc.
- Ensure that students are adequately prepared for sharing’s, culminating events, and exhibits.
- Assist in making all necessary managerial decisions, i.e. hiring, firing, and performance evaluations.
- Attend mandatory trainings in compliance with NYC Department of Health regulations.
- Provide Henry Street Settlement with all of the required paperwork, certifications, and support documents in compliance with NYC DOH regulations.
- Complete monthly and quarterly progress reports for the agency.
- Must attend weekly meetings with agency staff, Department of Education stakeholders, and participate in trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor, the Director of After-School and Camp Services.
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Program Coordinator” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.