Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Good Companions Senior Center (GCSC)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time – Permanent
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Good Companions is Henry Street Settlement’s multilingual and multicultural senior citizen center that has been serving the needs of the Lower East Side’s senior community for over 60 years by offering a variety of activities and social services. The staff speaks English, Chinese and Spanish The Center provides important nutritional information to enhance the health of seniors, and offers affordable hot lunches Sunday through Friday and dinners Monday through Friday. Seniors are encouraged to participate in health promotion and recreational activities, including health and wellness programs, parties, trips, arts and crafts, musical entertainment, recreation, nutrition presentations and educational seminars, and to take advantage of the two fitness rooms, complete with exercise machines and free weights. A bilingual Social Worker is also available to provide case management and information/referral services. This position reports to the Program Director.
- Master’s Degree required; degree in social work, creative arts, public health or related field preferred
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) required
- Proficiency in computer applications i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with ethnically diverse/senior population
- Experience with community organizations, outreach, and marketing
- Creative thinker and self-starter with strong organizational capabilities
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills
- Volunteer program administration, recruitment and supervision experience a plus
- Able to work flexible schedule as needed; ability to work Sundays required
- Work with Program Director in all aspects of center programming including activity development, planning, research, contracting, outreach, marketing, training and completion of monthly data and calendar components
- Assist to coordinate and supervise all internal senior volunteers in the absence of the Program Director
- Provide orientation and delegate tasks to external volunteers as required
- Collaborate and coordinate with Program Director, Food Service Manager, Social Worker and other staff to help meet contractual service levels and the needs of the program and members
- Coordinate Sunday program activities, volunteer responsibilities and meal service
- Oversee all registration, paperwork and orientation for new and renewing members, warmly welcoming them, providing them with new member packets of program materials, providing tours of the facility, matching their interests to offered activities and introducing them to established members
- In conjunction with the Program Director, coordinate birthday parties and bingo: purchase all necessary supplies, set-up for and oversee events and coordinate with the kitchen staff
- In conjunction with the Program Director, plan and coordinate grassroots fundraising activities
- Assist with onsite operational needs as needed (greeting table, activity supervision, trip sign ups/chaperoning, registration, contributions, event supply inventory, kitchen assistance)
- Represent/join Program Director at Henry Street Settlement (HSS) meetings, off-site events and activities as needed
- Perform weekly safety check of dining room and office areas to be in compliance with safety codes
- Develop familiarity with completion of all monthly/quarterly/annual internal HSS reports and the DFTA STARS system and assessment tools
- Plan trips for members in coordination with the Program Director and act as trip/activity chaperone as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Program Manager-Senior Center” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.