Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Client Care Worker/Recreational Specialist
Department: Third Street Women’s Residence
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The Transitional and Supportive Housing Cluster is a $9.1M division which provides Transitional Housing and Supportive Housing to Homeless individuals and Families, victims of Domestic Violence and Formerly Homeless Individuals. Services include four shelters; two family shelters, a domestic violence shelter, a shelter for Single Women with Mental Health Issue as well as a NYNY Supportive Housing building for formerly homeless individuals with Mental Health issues.
Services are provided by culturally competent staff and include case management, housing, employment, and children’s programs. These programs are designed to help individuals and families attain their fullest potential in an environment that values respect, dignity, caring and integrity. This position is within the Third Street Women’s Residence which is a 79 bed shelter for homeless women with Mental Health issues. This program includes on-site psychiatric and nursing services to supplement case management and housing services. This position reports directly to the Shift Supervisor.
Responsibilities: The Client Care Worker is responsible for working with clients to help them obtain housing, Help clients live full and satisfying lives in the community; help their team and program to function well and meet their contractual obligations including achieving contracted housing placement goals; and striving, as appropriate to their role, to fulfill the programs’ core purpose, core values and vision statements. This position is within a 24/7 program and must be available for coverage during 5:00PM- 1:00AM and 1:00AM- 9:00AM tours in addition to being part of the coverage rotation.
Associate Degree with at least 4 years relevant experience. Bachelor Degree in Social Work preferred and 1 year relevant experience.
Team duties include:
- Fostering seamless service provision across shifts
- Knowing and being able to communicate with clients about the program’s mission, structure, and approach to treatment.
- Providing and documenting relevant information about a client to their workers and other program staff.
- Knowing program rules and reporting on rule violations.
- Carry out intakes on clients.
- Ensuring that clients are safe and comfortable:
- Responding to crises.
- Proactively working to create and/or maintain an environment which is safe and comfortable.
- Conducting walk throughs around the facility
- Providing and supporting opportunities for therapeutic recreation and socialization
- Proactively working to engage clients in the program.
- Carrying out specific activities to support the overall functioning of the program
- Assisting with medication monitoring process
- Assisting with kitchen and distribution with meal duties as needed
Recreational and Facilitate Groups:
- Prepare recreational and leisure activities such as:
- Order and maintain recreational materials and supplies
- Acquire tickets and passes to entertainment events
- Coordinate trips to parks, zoos, concerts, etc.
- Prepare, post and distribute bulletins and flyers for all upcoming client activities
- Develop monthly recreation schedule in consultation with Program Supervisor/Program Director
- Maintain record of client participation in all activities such as timely submission of all required program reports and client consent forms, as required
- Perform all duties in a manner that is appreciative of residents’ strengths and supportive of their continued recovery
- Acknowledge success and engage residents in collaborative problem solving
- Keep informed of resident’s background, history and assessment
- Encourage residents to function independently through prompts and role modeling
- Assist residents in identifying and creating natural supports
- Create and link residents to appropriate social, recreational and personal development opportunities
- Facilitate support groups such as Advocacy for You Group, Women’s Issues Group, and Social Issues Group
- Conduct outreach to community service providers for various activities outside of the agency
- Serve as an advocate for residents in overcoming stigma and other barriers to community integration
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate, complete and timely documentation of group notes
- Support, guide and counsel residents towards self-management and self-advocacy in all areas of functioning
- Provide training for residents in the organization and maintenance of their apartments and personal living space
- Provide crisis intervention, as needed
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
- Demonstrated ability to provide services to clients with psychiatric and medical disabilities and with issues of substance abuse.
- Appropriate verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy a must
- Bilingual– Spanish speaking preferred
- Ability to obtain First Aid, CPR, F-80 (Certificate of fitness for Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm System)
- Knowledge using the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) data system.
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Recreational Specialist-Client Care Worker” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.