Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Helen’s House
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The building known as Helen’s House is named in honor of Helen Hall, who followed Lillian Wald as Head Worker of Henry Street Settlement in 1933. She directed the Settlement for over 30 years and was an author and activist concentrating on social reform in policies focusing on homelessness and municipal shelters. Today, Helen’s House provides emergency housing, case management services and onsite childcare for Single parents with children up to the age of eight.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Minimum of two (2) years demonstrated experience working in a social service agency with indigent families
- New York State Security Guard License required
- F24 Fire Safety Coordinator Certificate preferred
- Ability to obtain CPR/First Aid Certificate required within 90 days of hire
- Demonstrate crisis intervention skills
- Ability to keep calm and work well with others
- Assist all program staff in conflict intervention and management of residents
- Provide security and monitor all internal and external areas of six buildings
- Maintain post until relief coverage is provided
- Maintain daily written logs of shelter security activity
- Inform proper personnel when an incident occurs with residents, and if police, EMT or other agency personnel are on premises
- Complete incident reports for both Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Settlement prior to end of scheduled shift
- Assist residents moving in and out of facility
- Maintain cleanliness of post and remove garbage in compliance with DHS and NYC Department of Sanitation guidelines
- Provide assistance with building maintenance and cleaning, including snow removal as needed
- Additional related duties as assigned by supervisor
Apply To: Please send resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Resident Assistant – Helen’s House” in subject of e-mail AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an equal opportunity employer/program.