Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Self-Government Activity Specialist
Department: Youth Services
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Serving more than 150 students a year, the after-school program at the Boys and Girls Republic (BGR) is a comprehensive, co-ed youth program addressing each child’s academic achievement, social development and emotional well-being. BGR’s signature self-government model encourages young people to take an active role in shaping their society and becoming responsible citizens. BGR offers after-school activities for young people in kindergarten through eigth grade, Monday through Friday. BGR staff picks up students from most local elementary schools. During the school year, BGR offers afternoon activities for students aged 6 to 15.
BGR’s after-school program provides a safe, structured and nurturing environment that supports and enhances academic success, giving students opportunities to explore and discover themselves and their surroundings, and increases self-esteem. Offerings include homework help and tutoring, computer learning, sports and recreation, arts education, and self-government and youth leadership activities. Fridays are extremely dynamic at BGR, with Citizen’s Choice and Self-Government Committees offering everything from community service projects to bake sales, field trips, tournaments and contests.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; Associate’s degree required
- Passion for youth and community development
- Experience with curriculum and lesson plan development for targeted age group
- Demonstrated experience working with youth development programs with contractual milestone requirements
- Experience working programs with specific licensing and fingerprinting requirements
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite and web-hosted databases
- Excellent writing skills with impeccable grammar
- Exceptional verbal communication skills
- Unflappable client service, high standards, and organizational and time management skills in the face of tight deadlines
- Ability to form and maintain long lasting meaningful bonds with clientele
- Creativity, professionalism, and an excellent sense of humor
- Facilitate a civic engagement program, that enhances youth development and improves academic performance
- Develop and facilitate lesson plans around civic engagement for kindergarten to eighth grade.
- Maintain accurate records
- Collect and submit all program and contract required data including, but not limited to, progress notes, client tracking, pre- and post-tests, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports, regular reports to funders
- Analyze reports when needed • Provide crisis intervention to consumers when necessary
- Attend all required trainings as designated by Henry Street Settlement
- Additional related duties/projects as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Self-Government Activity Specialist” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.