Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Service Learning Specialist
Department: Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Temporary, worksite locations include Manhattan, East New York and Queens Village (2 openings per site)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The purpose of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is to provide New York City youth with summer employment and educational experiences that build on their individual strengths and incorporate youth development principles. These principles include engaging the talents and interests of youth, developing their skills and competencies, and providing positive adult role models.
The goals and objectives of SYEP are:
- To provide a valuable work experience at job sites that are safe and well supervised
- To assist youth in identifying their career interests through exposure to different industries, occupations, educational pathways, and the requirements for success in each of them
- To enable youth to acquire positive work habits and develop employment‐related skills
- To facilitate the long‐term employment and self‐sufficiency of youth
- To enable youth to develop a greater understanding of higher education and career options available to them
- To enable youth to develop financial literacy and other competencies that will prepare them to succeed in their transition to adulthood
- High School Diploma required; Current college enrollment or Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Experience with classroom management a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a professional setting
- Must be computer literate including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Prior knowledge of Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) strongly recommended
- Experience developing curriculum for high school aged teens
- Demonstrated experience working with a youth development program and facilitating dynamic educational workshops that meet the needs of a diverse group of learners.
- Unflappable customer service, organization and time management skills
- Creative, professional and an excellent sense of humor
- Passion for youth and community development
- Cultivate an enriching and positive work experience for a group of SYEP participants not assigned to a traditional work experience.
- Responsible for managing, supervising groups of SYEP participants between the ages of 14-15.
- Plan and schedule community service projects for SYEP participants to engage in.
- Collect, submit, and maintain all participant documents and data as necessary.
- Responsible for writing and entering reports weekly and as necessary.
- Complete all program and contract required steps for reporting incidents to appropriate supervising staff members.
- Additional duties/projects as assigned by supervisor.
To Apply: E-mail resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Service Learning Specialist-SYEP” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.