Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Neighborhood Resource Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The Neighborhood Resource Center (NRC) is a free walk-in program that provides Single Stop Case Management and crisis counseling services, benefit/entitlement screenings and referrals, health insurance enrollment services and parenting classes/workshops. Services are offered in English, Spanish and Chinese.
- M.S.W./L.M.S.W. preferred; will consider B.S.W./B.A. in related field with commensurate experience
- Background in case management or social services
- Minimum of 1-2 years professional work experience preferred; new social work grads are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated experience in providing comprehensive case management services to low-income/working poor and/or elderly populations.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and multi-tasks with efficiency.
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively with interdisciplinary team of case managers, social workers, health enrollers, community health workers, attorneys and/or financial counselor(s).
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. • Knowledge of benefits/entitlements such as SNAP/Food Stamps, SSI/SSD/SSA, SCRIE/DRIE, Medicaid/Medicare, etc. and biopsychosocial issues specific to elderly populations and/or willingness to learn/train, and strong problem solving skills.
- Computer proficiency including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; i.e., Word, Excel.
- Bilingual Spanish/English required.
- Conduct biopsychosocial assessments, and provide short-term and/or crisis counseling mental health services.
- Provide referrals to other Henry Street departments/programs such as the Community Consultation Center outpatient mental health clinic, Workforce Development, Senior Services, Youth Services, etc. and outside agencies when appropriate.
- Screen clients for benefits and assist with completion and submission of application forms (NYCHA, SNAP, NYC STC, Assurance/Lifeline phone, Unemployment Insurance, Medicare Savings Program, etc.); refer clients to other Neighborhood Resource Center Programs (Parent Center, Health Enrollment) and also weekly on-site legal and financial services.
- Document case progress notes outcomes of benefit applications regularly; use Single Stop New Tech case management system for data collection and daily, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
- Provide clients advocacy including written referrals to food pantries and other community providers when needed.
- Present and discuss client cases during supervisory review and weekly case review team conferences; participate in staff meetings/trainings.
- Prepare and submit SNAP/Food Stamp applications using POS electronic/online system when appropriate.
- Additional related duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Social Worker – NRC” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.