Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time – Temporary
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The purpose of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is to provide New York City youth with summer employment and educational experiences that build on their individual strengths and incorporate youth development principles. These principles include engaging the talents and interests of youth, developing their skills and competencies, and providing positive adult role models.
The goals and objectives of SYEP are:
- To provide a valuable work experience at job sites that are safe and well supervised
- To assist youth in identifying their career interests through exposure to different industries, occupations, educational pathways, and the requirements for success in each of them
- To enable youth to acquire positive work habits and develop employment‐related skills
- To facilitate the long‐term employment and self‐sufficiency of youth
- To enable youth to develop a greater understanding of higher education and career options available to them
- To enable youth to develop financial literacy and other competencies that will prepare them to succeed in their transition to adulthood
- Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) required
- Must have at least two (2) years’ experience working with youth development and youth employment programs with contractual milestone requirements
- Demonstrated experience working with at risk youth
- Ability to connect with a diverse, high-barrier young adult caseload; provide case management and counseling; and make appropriate referrals and recommendations based on client barriers and must have
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and web-hosted databases.
- Excellent writing skills with impeccable grammar
- Prior supervisory experience a plus
- Unflappable client service, high standards, and organizational and time management skills in the face of tight deadlines
- Passion for youth and community development
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Participate in intake, enrollment of SYEP participants and Individual Service Strategy completion for Vulnerable Youth contract participants
- Collaborate with referral partners to ensure program is fully enrolled
- Collaborate with referral partners, clients and client support networks to eliminate/reduce barriers to program participation and to assist clients in successful program completion.
- Manage and report incidents as they occur onsite and at participants worksites
- Maintain participant files to remain compliant with contractual requirements
- Develop and lead a professional development Orientation workshop with youth participants.
- Interview clients individually or in groups, assessing their needs, capabilities, and individual situations.
- Develop and review service plans in consultation with clients, and perform follow-ups as needed. Refer participants appropriately to outside resources.
- Serve as liaison between clients, family services, child guidance clinics, courts, protective services, and other contacts, to help clients who face issues.
- Complete basic reporting requirements including, but not limited to, progress notes and client tracking. Attend meetings as requested and document case notes within the DYCD system
- Additional duties/projects as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Social Worker” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.