Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Early Childhood Education
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time, on-call
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Henry Street’s two Early Childhood Centers provide a warm and safe environment that supports and enhances the social, physical, intellectual, creative and emotional development of young children. Teachers implement the Creative Curriculum, which fosters the development of a positive self-concept and cognitive skills, with a focus on the creative process, integrating music, movement, drama, and arts and crafts. Both centers are licensed by the New York City Department of Health and meet the requirements of all regulatory agencies.
- High School Diploma or GED required; Associate’s Degree or college credits preferred
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated experience working with pre-school children or day care setting
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills, flexibility, and ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated and ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish or English/Chinese) a plus
- Provide reliable on-call coverage
- Help in execution of current lesson plan
- Aide classroom staff with daily general classroom activities as assigned and assist in the supervision of children at all times
- Prepare for and facilitate center groups, art activities, etc. in cooperation with the classroom staff
- Assist students with meal preparation, toileting and dressing, etc.
- Contribute to the positive welfare, health and safety of students including the delivery of first aid
- Display respect and empathy for students by maintaining confidentiality, tact, reliability and sensitively with them and their families
- If necessary, assist in maintaining children’s progress reports, daily health log, incident logs, accident reports, lesson plans and observation notes
- Administrative duties including, but not limited to duplicating/ photocopying teaching materials, compiling students records, assisting in organizing activities, etc.
- Assist in keeping classroom, equipment, and materials in good condition
- Maintain excellent communication and inform relevant staff (ie. Group Teacher, Assistant Teacher, Teacher Aide, ECE Administration, etc.) and parents of any concerns
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate “Substitute Teacher” in subject of e-mail AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.