Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Summer Activity Specialist
Department: Camp Henry
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time/Temporary
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Company Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 18 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
- College student and or equivalent of two (2) years college
- Two (2) years leadership experience in after-school or camp program
- Ability and experience in supervising staff and campers
- Ability to creatively schedule programs, activities and Counselors
- Must have current American Red Cross CPR for Professional Rescuer and Responding to Emergencies Certification or be available for certification course
- Must be able to attend mandatory trainings one day a week from May – June
- Evaluate the program, staff and participants
- Consult with Program Coordinator/Camp Director regarding general structure of camp program, improvement of activities and general camp experiences
- Assist in the orientation of Counselors
- Consult with Program Coordinator and other support staff and formulate staff orientation plan
- Conduct or delegate responsibility for inspection of camp facilities
- Supervise and participate in all activities
- Monitor counselor and camper assignments for the day
- Monitor the safety of campers
- Lead the activity, as necessary
- Be available for camper and counselor consultation or conflict resolution
- Help Counselors develop a better understanding of group progress and group development
- Formally evaluate Counselors at least twice a season, conducting other evaluations as necessary
- Assist in evaluating the entire camp operation with suggestions for following season
- Supervise Counselors
- Identify and meet campers needs
- Carry out camp programs
- Fulfill other camp functions
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Summer Activity Specialist” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.