Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
SYEP/WLG Project Coordinator
Department: Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The purpose of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) and the Work Learn Grow Program (WLG) is to provide New York City youth with employment and educational experiences that build on their individual strengths and incorporate youth development principles. These principles include engaging the talents and interests of youth, developing their skills and competencies, and providing positive adult role models. Under the SYEP contract, is a specialized project serving NYC’s most disenfranchised young adults—runaway, homeless, foster care and court involved 14-24 year olds, collectively identified as “Vulnerable Youth.” The Program Coordinator will manage one of the City’s largest Vulnerable Youth Contracts during the summer months as well as the nine month WLG program.
The goals and objectives are:
- To provide a valuable work experience at job sites that are safe and well supervised
- To assist youth in identifying their career interests through exposure to different industries, occupations, educational pathways, and the requirements for success in each of them
- To enable youth to acquire positive work habits and develop employment‐related skills
- To facilitate the long‐term employment and self‐sufficiency of youth
- To enable youth to develop a greater understanding of higher education and career options available to them
- To enable youth to develop financial literacy and other competencies that will prepare them to succeed in their transition to adulthood
- Bachelor’s degree required; Bachelor’s in Social Work preferred, Master’s in Social Work a plus.
- Minimum of 1 year supervisory experience required
- Individuals must have demonstrated experience working with youth employment programs and contractual milestone requirements
- Prior knowledge of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) strongly preferred
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite and web-hosted databases
- Unflappable customer service, organization and time management skills in a deadline driven environment necessary
- Creativity, professionalism, and an excellent sense of humor
- Passion for youth & community development
- Ability to work evenings as needed
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish or English/Chinese) a plus
- Ensure program implementation for Vulnerable Youth and Work, Learn, Grow contracts are operating as per funder/contract requirements including but not limited to: participant enrollment, participant service strategy, worksite assignments and ongoing monitoring and documentation of program activities
- Supervise and oversee the collection of: participant vital documents during enrollment; timesheets for payroll; and of weekly worksite data entry
- Plan and facilitate participant workshops including: pre-program orientation and reflection sessions
- Travel between locations regularly to submit documents and attend meetings
- Work with social worker to engage high barrier participants; communicate with both client and referral partners regularly
- Ensure social worker and site monitors maintain contact with participants throughout program to earn hours and eliminate barriers as necessary
- Communicate daily with supervisor to stay abreast of all programmatic requirements and changes
- Maintain and build relationships with VY agency partners for participant enrollment and participant tracking
- Manage and supervise WLG Program Assistant and SYEP Site Monitors and Data Entry personnel assigned to contract
- Manage and report any incident occurring at participants worksites
- Maintain participant files to remain complaint with contractual requirements; ensure files are ready for audit throughout program
- Communicate and mediate conflict with program participants, parents, and worksites to address needs or concerns
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: E-mail resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “SYEP/WLG Project Coordinator” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.