Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Education and Employment
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time – 20 hrs. per week / Monday – Friday
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Date Posted: 5/11/2017
Program Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
- High School Diploma or GED required; Associate’s Degree or college credits preferred
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated experience working with pre-school children or day care setting
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills, flexibility, and ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated, ability to multi-task and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish or English/Chinese) a plus
- Aid Group Teacher(s) and Assistant Teacher(s) with daily general classroom activities as assigned and assist in the supervision of children at all times
- Prepare for and facilitate center groups, art activities, etc. in cooperation with the Group Teacher(s)
- Assist students with meal preparation and clean up
- Help with necessary toileting, dressing, etc.
- Contributing to the positive welfare, health and safety of students including the delivery of first aid
- Displaying respect and empathy for students by maintaining confidentiality, tact, reliability and sensitively with them and their families
- Assist in maintaining children’s progress reports, daily health log, incident logs, accident reports, lesson plans and observation notes
- Administrative duties including, but not limited to duplicating/ photocopying teaching materials, compiling students records, assisting in organizing activities, etc.
- Help in execution of weekly lesson plans
- Assist in keeping classroom, equipment, and materials in good condition
- Maintain excellent communication and inform relevant staff and parents of any concerns
- Participate in scheduled conferences, classroom teacher meetings, general staff meetings, and training sessions
- Additional duties as assigned.
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Teacher’s Aide” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.