Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Team Leader Social Worker (LMSW)
Department: Third Street Women’s Residence
Start Date: As soon as possible
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
The Transitional and Supportive Housing Cluster is a $9.1M division which provides Transitional Housing and Supportive Housing to Homeless individuals and Families, victims of Domestic Violence and Formerly Homeless Individuals. Services include four shelters; two family shelters, a domestic violence shelter, a shelter for Single Women with Mental Health Issue as well as a NYNY Supportive Housing building for formerly homeless individuals with Mental Health issues.
Services are provided by culturally competent staff and include case management, housing, employment, and children’s programs. These programs are designed to help individuals and families attain their fullest potential in an environment that values respect, dignity, caring and integrity. This position is within the Third Street Women’s Residence which is a 79 bed shelter for homeless women with Mental Health issues. This program includes on-site psychiatric and nursing services to supplement case management and housing services. This position reports directly to the Clinical Director.
- Master’s degree in Social Work LMSW, required
- Minimum of four (4) years of post-masters experience
- SIFI desirable
- Strong clinical assessment skills essential
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Computer literacy; knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook, etc.
- Bilingual Spanish/English is desired
- Experience in housing placement and with the Department of Homeless Services a plus
Responsibilities: The Team Leader is responsible for day to day in the management of case managers assigned. The Team Leader provides direct supervision to case managers. The Team Leader ensures that clients receive services that meet regulatory and agency standards, including contracted performance outcomes. This position is within a 24/7 program and must be available for on-call coverage for crisis intervention during non-working hours in addition to being part of the on call rotation.
The position requires a thorough understanding of relevant service delivery concepts and structures, including strong knowledge and experience with mental health systems, and the ability to access and negotiate the full range of services for recipients. It also requires strong clinical, supervisory, organizational and administrative skills and the ability to interface effectively and efficiently with colleagues to ensure quality services and program operations. Furthermore, it requires good decision-making skills, strong clinical assessment skills and the ability to identify and facilitate necessary programmatic change. Ability to problem-solves, prioritize and effectively manage time in a fast paced working environment. It requires attention to detail, strong writing and verbal communication skills, and computer literacy.
- Conduct case reviews at supervision meetings to ensure the coordination of proper client care
- Provide direct supervision to case managers; direct workload of staff, complete annual performance evaluation, establish personnel accountabilities, assist in make hiring and firing recommendations and training to support staff
- Supervise Master of Social Work interns/students
- Manage and monitor utilization of the Department of Homeless Services computerized case management system to comply with program requirements
- Compile data and run monthly reports; provide statistical data to city and state agencies
- Provide administrative back-up coverage in the absence of to the Program Director, Program Supervisor and the Clinical Director as needed
- Reviews crisis assessment of consumers/residents with staff; review nonverbal and verbal crisis intervention techniques to be used with each individual consumer/resident and staff-actions during a crisis situation
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team
- Carry a caseload
- Maintain a cooperative relationship among the program units by communicating information, responding to request, building rapport and participating in team problem-solving methods
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Team Leader” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.