Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Urban Family Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
- High School diploma / GED required; Bachelor degree preferred or minimum 1 year college
- Must have excellent attendance reference
- Prior experience working with at risk children in a recreational setting
- Good oral communication and writing skills
- Must have good interpersonal skills, judgment and problem solving ability
- Meet standards for licensing requirements (finger printing, child abuse check, etc.)
- Development of weekend and recreational group activities
- Escort children to trips and special programs; accompany students to creative arts programs, computer lab and other special youth trips
- Maintain written records: document incidents, accidents, daily attendance and complete group summaries and statistical data
- Develop curriculums, lesson plans for recreational and educational group activities
- Monitor and track students’ behavior
- Provide homework assistance
- Administer academic assessments
- Develop a monthly activity calendar
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please indicate “Tutor/Weekend Recreation – UFC” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.