Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Urban Family Center Program Director
Department: Transitional and Supportive Housing
Program Overview: Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity to enrich lives and expand human progress for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs. Building on its 125-year legacy of innovation and effective programming, Henry Street offers more than 50 programs and is one of New York City’s largest social service agencies.
Our Transitional & Supportive Housing program offers temporary emergency housing for homeless families. The Settlement also operates a permanent housing residence for New Yorkers facing the challenges of homelessness and mental illness. Residents are referred to our shelters from the New York City Department of Homeless Services. Each shelter has a seamlessly integrated, comprehensive onsite social service program that helps residents restore and rebuild their lives while managing their housing crises.
Founded in 1972, the Urban Family Center was the country’s first apartment-style temporary shelter with on-site social services for homeless families with children. Funded by the New York City Department of Homeless Services and located in a six-story walk-up building on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, the Center houses eighty-two homeless families in separate apartments, and provides them access to a comprehensive array of social services.
We are seeking a dynamic, full-time program director to join our committed, multidisciplinary team. Applicants must be a) passionate about serving and improving the lives of Lower East side residents who struggle with housing issues and b) capable of pursuing and refining the Urban Family Center’s vision and service strategy. Other requirements include:
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), with at least six years post-masters experience working with homeless families.
- At least five years’ supervisory/program-management experience
- Knowledge of compliance and experience with fiscal/budget management.
- Excellent problem-solving ability with good crisis intervention and strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience providing staff training and development.
Program Design and Evaluation
- Develop program priorities, objectives, goals, and new initiatives.
- Plan, develop, and implement all programs, along with associated reporting and evaluation.
- Ensure Henry Street’s adherence to contractual obligations and compliance updates from multiple government and private funding sources to maintain contract integrity and performance
- Provide fiscal oversight of the program including budget, payroll, contract monitoring.
- Oversee and manage all operations of a 24-hour facility.
- Hire, supervise, train, and facilitate the development of staff and students.
- Provide monthly reports and statistical data to city and state agencies and various funding sources.
- Monitor and update as needed policy and procedures, including program and operation manuals.
- Serve as liaison to the Department of Homeless Services, governmental and other funding agencies, and universities and schools of social work.
- Organize case conferences
- Attend meetings, workshops, and conferences relevant to program activities.
- Ensure 24-hour coverage.
- Develop and maintain community and government agency relations
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Program Director, Urban Family Center”
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.