Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Henry Street Settlement Senior Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: Henry Street Settlement’s multilingual and multicultural Senior Center has been serving the needs of the Lower East Side’s senior community since 1952, offering a variety of activities and social services. The staff speaks English, Chinese and Spanish. The Center provides important nutritional information to enhance the health of seniors, and offers affordable hot lunches Sunday through Friday and dinners Monday through Friday. Seniors are encouraged to participate in health promotion and recreational activities, including health and wellness programs, parties, trips, arts and crafts, musical entertainment, recreation, nutrition presentations and educational seminars, and to take advantage of the two fitness rooms, complete with exercise machines and free weights. A bilingual Social Worker is also available to provide case management and information/referral services. This position reports to the Program Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in exercise science, public health, nutrition, personal training or related field
- 1-3 years’ experience working in a fitness or wellness promotion environment
- Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) preferred
- Current CPR/AED certification
- Demonstrated ability in fitness testing, evaluation and risk screening
- Strong customer service and communication skills for working with an older, highly diverse population
- Creative thinker and self-starter with strong organizational and time management capabilities
- Computer proficiency including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Develop, provide and evaluate wellness-related programming, including wellness lectures, screenings, tracking of data and individual wellness assessments
- Work with diabetic members and others with chronic diseases on increasing their ability to effectively manage their conditions through education, physical exercise and other modalities
- Identify members with unmet health care needs and develop, implement and/or facilitate programs to meet those needs (i.e. smoking cessation, weight management, support groups)
- Develop and execute program components in recognition of cultural and linguistic needs of members
- Establish protocols to monitor members’ wellness goals and ongoing participation
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate “Wellness Coach” AND the website the position was found in subject of e-mail .
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an equal opportunity employer/program.