Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Department: Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time – Temporary
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Program Overview: The purpose of the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is to provide New York City youth with summer employment and educational experiences that build on their individual strengths and incorporate youth development principles. These principles include engaging the talents and interests of youth, developing their skills and competencies, and providing positive adult role models.
The goals and objectives of SYEP are:
- To provide a valuable work experience at job sites that are safe and well supervised
- To assist youth in identifying their career interests through exposure to different industries, occupations, educational pathways, and the requirements for success in each of them
- To enable youth to acquire positive work habits and develop employment‐related skills
- To facilitate the long‐term employment and self‐sufficiency of youth
- To enable youth to develop a greater understanding of higher education and career options available to them
- To enable youth to develop financial literacy and other competencies that will prepare them to succeed in their transition to adulthood
- High School Diploma/ GED required; college degree or current college enrollment preferred.
- Passion for youth and community development
- Experience and comfort working with youth and workplace professionals
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Extreme attention to detail and strong multi-tasker
- Ability to make deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Past experience working with Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) preferred
- Ability to travel throughout NYC via public transportation
- Possession of New York State Driver’s License a plus
- Visit each worksite in caseload once a week, minimally.
- Ensure SYEP participants are satisfied with worksite placements and are completing maximum hours; contact youth as necessary to follow up on missed hours
- Ensure worksites are providing a safe and supportive environment to youth assigned to the site
- Serve as a liaison between SYEP participants and Henry Street Settlement to communicate information at regular intervals
- Distribute and collect participant timesheets, program evaluations and other program documents weekly • Monitor and report any issues or violations to proper personnel
- Complete weekly monitoring reports for each worksite assigned to caseload
- Participate in SYEP and worksite supervisors’ orientations.
- Administrative duties as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director
To Apply: E-mail resume to email@example.com. Please indicate “Worksite Monitor” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.