Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Youth Opportunity Hub Social Worker
Department: Youth Opportunity Hub
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
Education and Employment Services is an 8.2 million dollar division serving about 9000 people each year through a continuum of services from Early Childhood Education through Adult Workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include an Early Learn Program, After School Programs (6 sites), 4 Day Camps, Youth Recreation, High School Initiatives including 2 Community Schools, and our Expanded Horizons College Success Program. Programming takes place within 3 community center sites and multiple school-based programs. Employment Services include walk-in employment services, employment services for a public housing population, ESL job readiness training, and employment services for youth including SYEP and Young Adult Internship and Adult Literacy Programs.
This position is the Social Worker for the Youth Opportunity Hub program part of a group of 9 HUB social workers. Our Youth Opportunity Hub is a multi-site, multi-pronged social service, counseling, case management, and referral program for youth who reside, go to school, or work in the Lower East Side.
- MSW required; LMSW and SIFI preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Flexible schedule, available evenings/weekends
- At least 2 years of experience working with adolescents from diverse backgrounds
- Experience providing individual counseling, group counseling, and case management
- Ability to engage, build relationships, and demonstrate empathy with youth
- Diverse cultural competence required • Strong networking and relationship-building skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and follow through skills with the ability to coordinate multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Self-motivated with the ability to be resourceful, efficient, flexible, and effectively work under pressure
- Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively with staff members across multiple programs and program sites
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Word and Excel, email correspondence, and database management
- Provide counseling, case management, activities/workshops and coordinate internal/external referrals for services to a caseload of 40 youth (13-24 years old) who live, attend school, or have a significant connection to one of the 6 Lower East Side settlement houses
- Recruit, outreach, engage, and enroll youth to build and maintain an ongoing 40-youth caseload. Work with youth through high school graduation and transition to college/employment. Continuously add youth to caseload as existing caseload achieves goals
- Engage and maintain partnership relationships with key program stakeholders, internal and external. Connect youth to secondary partners for services
- Assist in the coordination of events and program opportunities for youth both in assigned Settlement House and community wide
- Facilitate pertinent workshops and presentations for youth
- Complete necessary progress/case notes and internal reports, maintain caseload files, and enter timely contractual data into various database systems
- Participate in various contractual, program, division, and agency meetings and activities
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
To Apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Youth Opportunity Hub Social Worker” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.