Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Are you new to crowdfunding? Here are some tips for getting your Facebook or GoFundMe campaigns started. Your outreach this holiday season will help Henry Street Settlement reach our end-of-year fundraising goal at a critical time. Thank you for helping us help New Yorkers.
Step 1: Set up your campaign page
You can set up your crowdfunding campaign on either Facebook or GoFundMe. Facebook allows your network of friends to see your fundraiser automatically and makes it easy for your campaign to be shared with others on social media. A GoFundMe campaign requires you to email or text the campaign link to your network. The advantages are that people who do not use Facebook have access to your fundraiser, and there are more ways to personalize your campaign. With both platforms, you are able to see who has donated (as long as they didn’t choose to remain anonymous) and track the total amount raised. Below are the instructions for both types of campaigns.
To set up a Facebook campaign:
- Scroll down to “fundraisers” on the left-hand side of your homepage. (You may need to click “see more.”)
- Choose “Select Nonprofit.”
- Search and select “Henry Street Settlement.”
- Customize your fundraiser using the options in the left margin: the goal amount, title, description, and even the cover photo are all avenues for you to personalize your campaign. See below for more help with this!
- Hit “Create” and then follow up with your network to raise awareness about your fundraiser — a personal touch can make a big difference.
To set up a GoFundMe campaign:
- Select “Start a GoFundMe” in the upper right hand corner.
- Select “A nonprofit or charity” as who you’re fundraising for.
- Fill out your information and select Henry Street Settlement as your nonprofit beneficiary.
- Customize your fundraiser with a title, goal amount, photos, and a short narrative about why you’re raising money for Henry Street. More tips on this are included in steps 2 and 3 below.
- Launch your fundraiser! Share the link with your network to raise awareness about your fundraiser — a personal touch can make a big difference.
Step 2: Personalize
- This is your chance to explain what Henry Street means to you. Customizing the title, description, and the cover photo not only informs your network about the work we do, but also lets them get to know you better.
- Consider including details about your involvement with specific Henry Street programs; a personal story of how you came to know Henry Street will convey to your friends that their participation in your fundraiser is important to you.
- Feel free to include a picture of yourself (perhaps holding a photo of our logo!) if you like.
Step 3: Set a goal
- Consider your potential audience; that will help you set an achievable and realistic campaign goal.
- Create an outreach plan. Some people might respond better to a text message instead of an email. Thinking about this ahead of time will allow you to maximize the impact of your outreach on each person.
THANK YOU for thinking of Henry Street this holiday season. We can’t do this work without you.
If you need help getting your fundraiser going or if you would like information on a specific Henry Street program, please reach out to Christie Bowers at firstname.lastname@example.org.