Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Volunteer High School Science & Math Tutor
Department: Expanded Horizons College Success
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Part Time (2-4 hours per week, Monday-Thursday 4-6 p.m.)
Salary: Unpaid, Volunteer
Date Posted: 12/1/16
Program Overview: This position is part of the Henry Street Settlement Education and Employment Services Division, which provides a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include 2 day care centers, after school programs (6 sites), camp programs (3 sites), middle school and high school initiatives, and the Expanded Horizons College Access and Retention program (both community center and school based). This position is within our Expanded Horizons program which is a College Access and Success program serving high school and college aged students. This position reports to the Director of High School and College Success
- High School Diploma Required; College Degree Preferred
- Previous tutoring experience required
- Strong content area knowledge in high school level subjects of Science & Math
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Patience and willingness to work in a diverse work environment
- Completion of a background check required
- Commit to serve as a tutor at least once per week between Monday and Thursday from 4:00-6:00pm.
- Lead weekly one-on-one or small group, subject specific tutoring sessions
- Support participants with homework completion in Math & Science
- Facilitate test prep and Regents review sessions
- Serve as a positive role model
- Celebrate success and progress of youth
To Apply: email Resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “Volunteer High School Science and Math Tutor” AND the website where the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.