Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Henry Street Settlement Senior Center
Henry Street Settlement Senior Center is a multi-lingual and multi-cultural center that has been serving the needs of the Lower East Side’s senior community for over 60 years by offering a variety of activities and social services. The staff speaks English, Chinese and Spanish.
Incorporating a unique wellness model, the Center provides important nutritional information to enhance the health of seniors, and offers affordable hot lunches Sunday through Friday and dinners Monday through Friday. Seniors are encouraged to participate in recreational activities, and to take advantage of the two fitness rooms, complete with machine and free weights.
Bilingual case management services are also available.
The Center is located at 334 Madison Street and open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Sunday for seniors 60+.
The Center’s programs include:
Health & Wellness
- Meals (Lunch Monday – Friday 11:30 AM – 1 p.m., Sunday 12 – 1 p.m.; Dinner Monday – Friday 4 – 6 p.m.)
- Tai chi
- Belly dancing
- Exercise classes
- Fitness room with exercise machines
- Lectures on aging, nutrition, depression, medication and more
- Full-time bilingual social worker
- Case management
- Benefits and entitlements
Recreation & Education
- Arts and crafts
- Bi-lingual computer classes
- Parties and holiday celebrations
- Cooking events
- Field trips to restaurants, cultural events and more
- Dominos, billiards and bingo
Henry Street Settlement Senior Center receives funding through the New York City Department for the Aging.