Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Senior Companion Program
Senior Companions are healthy older adults who help homebound or isolated fellow seniors live independently. Services include friendly visiting, shopping assistance, escort to a doctor’s appointment or other community activity, help with obtaining services such as access-a-ride and meals on wheels, and most importantly, friendship and companionship.
Sponsored by Henry Street Settlement and funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service, the Senior Companion Program is available in all of New York City’s five boroughs.
- Are at least 55 years old
- Can use mass transit
- Volunteer between 15 and 40 hours weekly
- May qualify for a tax-free stipend and paid time off
- Receive transportation reimbursement
- Are covered by accident and liability insurance while in the field
- Participate in training sessions tailored to the needs and interests of older adults
Senior Companion services include:
- Regularly scheduled friendly visiting
- Light errands
- Meal planning
- Medication reminders
- Caregiver respite
- Medical escort