Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Senior Companion Program
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Senior Companion Program Volunteers are not currently conducting in-person companionship services for clients. All services are provided to clients over the phone or via virtual programming. We are still accepting new potential volunteers and potential clients, but services are limited until further notice.
Senior Companions are healthy older adults who volunteer to assist homebound or isolated fellow seniors live independently. Volunteers are matched with a client for regularly, weekly, scheduled companionship services. These services include: friendly visiting, shopping assistance, escort to a doctor’s appointment or other community activity, help with obtaining services such as access-a-ride and meals on wheels, and most importantly, friendship and companionship.
Sponsored by Henry Street Settlement and funded by Americorps Seniors, the Senior Companion Program is available in all of New York City’s five boroughs.
- Are at least 55 years old
- Volunteer between 5 and 40 hours weekly
- May qualify for a tax-free stipend and paid time off
- Are covered by accident and liability insurance while in the field
- Participate in training sessions tailored to the needs and interests of older adults
During COVID- 19 the services provided by volunteers include:
- Telephone reassurance calls
- Video conference calls
- Technology assistance and support
- Resources guidance
- Virtual companionship / social recreation
- Medical / benefit support assistance