Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Supervisor/Community Health Worker
Department: Primary & Behavioral Health/Neighborhood Resource Center
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Organization Overview: Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 17 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it one of the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City’s largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
Grand Street Guild, in partnership with Henry Street Settlement, will be implementing a community health worker initiative to improve the health and well-being of Grand Street Guild residents. Community Health Workers (CHWs) will be hired to reach out to the residents, understand their needs, connect them to services in the community, and support their efforts to improve their health and the health of their families. CHWs are playing a growing role in the health care field, so this is an exciting opportunity for compassionate people interested in developing skills that will allow them to pursue this profession and help improve the lives of others.
- L.M.S.W./L.C.S.W.; commitment to bio-psycho-social-medical community/field based outreach interventions and engagement
- Resident of and/or strong familiarity with Manhattan’s Lower East Side (LES) community; commitment to help improve the well-being of LES residents; prior Community Health Worker experience a plus (training/internship/employment)
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred; basic computer/data entry skills and/or a willingness to learn (Salesforce)
- Provide field-based supervision of 2 CHWs (50% of time) plus direct engagement of residents (50%) towards interventions including intakes/assessments, and development of goal settings/action plans with residents to address identified areas of concern
- Utilize motivational interviewing to encourage residents to undertake healthy activities and achieve goals outlined in action plans; i.e., smoking cessation, exercise, improved nutrition, weight loss, adhere to medications, employment, improve financial management, etc.
- Provide CHWs ongoing training in the field of motivational interviewing and other community-based interventions
- Conduct field-based joint visits with CHWS to engage residents; provide case consultation(s) and crisis intervention, as needed
- Strategize with CHW Team outreach plan to engage residents of Grand Street Guild to participate in CHW program
- Establish trusting relationships with residents; provide coaching on effective problem solving; refer residents to case management and other community services/resources; assist residents with coordination of personal care appointments and escort residents to appointments if needed. Assess environmental needs in the home; i.e., mold, pests, loose carpets, need for guard rails/bathroom supports, etc.; provide information/referrals and/or advocacy to address these and other problems
- Complete/enter intake/assessment forms and goal setting, action plans, encounter/milestone check-in forms, and referrals/outcomes using a computerized data entry system (Salesforce); conduct regular outreach and document attempts in Salesforce
- Participate in weekly individual and/or team supervisory meetings and/or other trainings as requested
- Develop and implement community-based workshops in response to community needs assessment(s).
- Run/analyze Salesforce data reports, monitor frequency and quality of outreach/engagement of residents; participate in weekly team meetings together with NRC Program Director and CHWS at the NRC, and facilitate individual/team meetings with CHWS in the field.
To Apply: E-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Supervisor/Community Health Worker” in the subject line AND the website the position was found.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement is an equal opportunity employer/program.