Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social service, arts, and health care programs.
Henry Street offers programs for youth seeking employment and job training and placement through the Workforce Development Center.
Summer Youth Employment Program
The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) is the nation’s largest youth employment program, connecting NYC youth between the ages of 14 and 24 with career exploration opportunities and paid work experience each summer.
HSS has (4) SYEP opportunities available to youth.
- Manhattan Community Based – Youth ages 16-24 are eligible to apply online. Selection for this program option is lottery based. Most worksites in this program are located in Manhattan.
- Brooklyn Community Based – Youth ages 16-24 are eligible to apply online. Selection for this program option is lottery based. Most worksites in this program are located in Brooklyn.
- CareerFirst @ Baruch Houses – Residents of Baruch Houses ages 14-24 are eligible to apply online. Selection for this program option is on a first come first served basis. Worksites in this program are located in Manhattan and the Manhattan neighboring parts of Brooklyn.
- Emerging Leaders – Youth ages 14-24 who are homeless/ runaway, in foster-care, receiving ACS preventative services or cash assistance from HRA, court-involved, or attending one of these DOE access schools are eligible to apply online. Referrals for this program option can also be made by nonprofits and government agencies, schools, and other social service entities. Selection for this program option is on a first come first served basis.Worksites in this program are located in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx, with most sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Important SYEP Details
- Application Deadline: April 14, 2023
- Program runs in two cohorts:
- Cohort A: July 5 – August 11
- Cohort B: July 10 – August 18
- For general questions contact: Nilsy Mauras, Assistant Director of SYEP (NMauras@henrystreet.org)
- Work, Learn, Grow Employment Program (WLG)
- Applications are typically released in late September
- Former SYEP participation is required in order to apply
- Program operates from November – March
- For general inquiries contact: Lennette Octaviani, WLG Program Coordinator (LOctaviani@henrystreet.org)
- ExpandED Schools Apprenticeship – Agents of Change
Agents of Change is a Human Services Apprenticeship for youth interested in learning about emotional intelligence, social/ community issues, and careers in non-profit.
- Applications are released in early January
- Program operates from March – June
- Participating youth are guaranteed SYEP placement
- For general inquiries contact: Iliana Balbuena, Youth Employment Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Work Progress Program (WPP)
- The Work Progress Program provides internships and other opportunities to NYC youth 18-24 years old.
- Program timeline varies – A current fall cohort is in operation until June 2023.
- For general inquiries contact: Johanna Ramirez, Director of Youth Employment (JRamirez@henrystreet.org)
Apply here: application.nycsyep.com
The application deadline for all SYEP applications is Friday, April 14, 2023, by 11:59 p.m.
For more information, visit the DYCD Employment Programs page here and email SYEP Director Johanna at email@example.com with any questions.
A popular internship opportunity since 2020 has been with Rambler Studios, a youth fashion-design program. Read more.