Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
Expanded Horizons College Success
About Our Program:
Expanded Horizons is a comprehensive eight-year program which is designed to ensure that high school students are college-ready and admitted to a college that fits their interests and abilities, and graduate from that institution on time. Our eight-year cohort-based model allows high school students to benefit from FREE:
*Please note that starting Summer 2021, Expanded Horizons will host a hybrid of in-person and virtual programming.
- After school programming with an emphasis on college and internship readiness, identity and social justice.
- SAT preparation program (11th Grade Only)
- Individualized guidance through the college and entire financial aid process INCLUDING a four-year renewable scholarship from Henry Street.
- Academic support and coaching throughout high school and college
- College tours (overnight and day trips)
- Career exploration workshops and events
- Assistance with identifying Internship/summer opportunities
- Cultural/fun trips to movies, museums, skating, bowling, etc.
We are looking for students who are:
- A high school freshman, sophomore, or junior. We have limited slots for seniors.
- Preference will be given to students who live/attend school on the Lower East Side.
- Interested in receiving assistance in choosing and getting into college.
- Interested in youth leadership and social justice.
- Can commit to attending after school programming at least once a week (grades 9-11 only).
About Admission to Our Program:
1) The Expanded Horizons program gives PREFERENCE to high school students who either live or attend High School on the Lower East Side. These applications will be reviewed FIRST and then remaining slots will be filled with other students.
2) Please note that the Expanded Horizons program DOES NOT offer a stand-alone SAT preparation course for the general public. Our Juniors receive SAT prep, college access/social justice workshops, attend on-site college admissions sessions, attend overnight college trips, and receive individual college counseling. Thus, students accepted into the Expanded Horizons program will be expected to participate in ALL of our programming.
Next Step for Interested Students and Parents