Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social service, arts, and health care programs.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Senior Companion Program Volunteers are now able to provide services to clients over the phone or via virtual programming in addition to working with clients in person.
Senior Companions are active older adult volunteers 55 years and older who regularly visit and provide telephone reassurance services to homebound or isolated fellow older adults. Through AmeriCorps Seniors, the volunteers provide support for older adults to live independently throughout the five boroughs.These services include: friendly visiting, shopping assistance, escort to a doctor’s appointment or other community activity, help with obtaining services such as Access-A-Ride and Meals on Wheels, and most importantly, friendship and companionship.
Sponsored by Henry Street Settlement and funded by AmeriCorps Seniors, the Senior Companion Program is available in all of New York City’s five boroughs.
- Are at least 55 years old
- Volunteer between 5 and 40 hours weekly
- May qualify for a tax-free stipend and paid time off
- Are covered by accident and liability insurance while in the field
- Participate in training sessions tailored to the needs and interests of older adults
During COVID- 19 the services provided by volunteers are expanded to include:
- Telephone reassurance calls
- Video conference calls
- Technology assistance and support
- Resources guidance
- Virtual companionship / social recreation
- Medical / benefit support assistance
Are you interested in referring a potential client to our waitlist? Please click below to complete a referral form.