Henry Street Settlement opens doors of opportunity for Lower East Side residents and other New Yorkers through social services, arts, and health care programs.
School Based Mental Health Clinics
The School Based Mental Health Clinics are operating online for the time being.
The School Based Mental Health Clinics – located in 10 Lower East Side public schools – aim to eliminate barriers that prevent children and families from seeking mental health care by providing services on-site in schools, and collaborating with educational professionals who spend extended time with students on a daily basis.
The licensed social workers at the SBMHC:
- Conduct psychosocial evaluations
- Lead individual, family and group counseling sessions
- Serve as mediators between students and faculty
- Coach parents and teachers in strategies to promote their child/student’s well-being through a variety of workshops
- Offer psychiatric evaluations with a child psychiatrist
- Hold certifications in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Sand Tray Therapy and Yoga Instruction
- Offer services in English, Spanish and Chinese
The SBMHC programs operate at PS 20, PS 140, PS 142, PS 134, Orchard Collegiate Academy, University Neighborhood Middle School and Manhattan Charter II. They are satellite clinics of Henry Street’s mental health services headquartered at the Community Consultation Center, 40 Montgomery Street.
Students are referred to the program by school faculty.